Wizards of the Coast will be releasing Streets of New Capenna, the latest expansion set for the world’s oldest and best trading card game, Magic: The Gathering (MTG) next Friday, April 29th.
Set in the brand-new Art Deco noir metropolis of New Capenna (#MTGCapenna), the set centres around five unique crime families vying for control over the city.
Streets of New Capenna contains 281 cards and will be available on tabletop.
— MTG Arena (@MTG_Arena) April 18, 2022
For the first time, players in selected Southeast Asian (SEA) countries will be able to own exclusive Family Treasure Tokens for the expansion.
Illustrated by artists from the region and with a limited single print run, six designs of the Treasure Tokens are available with every purchase of a collector booster box, while stocks last, at participating WPN stores (Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia and Philippines) and online (Singapore only).
A city built by angels and ruled by demons, New Capenna conceals a crooked underbelly beneath its extravagant parties and classy citizens. Five conniving syndicates feud for control over the supply of “Halo,” a rare resource highly sought after for its material beauty and magic-boosting power. But as the invasion of a bigger threat enters New Capenna, it’s up to Planewalkers Vivien and Elspeth to prevent the conflict between families from boiling into an all-out war.
Players can choose which of the three-colour crime factions they want to join. Each faction is led by a different mob boss and are uniquely different in mechanics:
- Information is power
- The Obscura are gifted magicians who channel their magic for means of deception, using illusions and orchestrating scenarios to manipulate and blackmail their adversaries.
- Mechanic: Connive - draw a card and discard a card. If a non-land card is discarded this way, put a +1/+1 counter on the creature that connived.
- Kill for the finer things in life
- Old-money vampires who are connoisseurs of art, the Maestros are shady assassins disguised among the elite and hell-bent on preserving the culture of Old Capenna.
- Mechanic: Casualty - sacrifice a creature with power N or greater to copy any spell tied to this ability.
- Always finish the job
- Reliant on brute force to get the work done, the unmatched craftsmanship skills of the Riveteers make them masters of intimidation and destruction.
- Mechanic: Blitz - creatures with blitz can be cast for an alternate cost to gain ‘haste’ and ‘when this creature dies, draw a card’. Sacrifice the creature at the beginning of the next end step.
- Fun isn’t free
- The Cabaretti are a cult of druids known for throwing the most lavish parties in New Capenna, but their power over the masses reaches far beyond their illustrious dance halls.
- Mechanic: Alliance - whenever another creature enters the battlefield, a unique effect is triggered.
- Read the fine print
- While The Brokers seem to handle mundane legal matters and property disputes by day, these dubious solicitors secretly follow a grim doomsday prophecy.
- Mechanic: Shield - if a creature with a shield counter would be destroyed or dealt damage, remove a shield counter instead.
Streets of New Capenna includes 10 full art “Metropolis” basic lands.
Additionally, the “Skyscraper” and “Golden Age” showcase treatments exhibit the vibrant locations and unique cards of New Capenna in all the glitz and glam of the Plane.
As part of the launch, MTG has collaborated with five local artists from Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia and the Philippines to present SEA-exclusive Family Treasure Tokens, depicting the five bosses of New Capenna’s crime families and Halo. The Tokens incorporate the artists’ diverse backgrounds and artistic interpretations, bringing the elegance, affluence and style of New Capenna to life.
Streets of New Capenna will be available as Draft Boosters, Set Boosters, and Collector Boosters, with factionalised Theme Boosters and Commander Decks for the player’s crime family of choice.
Learn more about Streets of New Capenna here.