With the decision on Bongbong Marcos' disqualification case facing delays at the Commission on Elections (Comelec) First Division, Commissioner Rowena Guanzon revealed on Thursday that she voted to DQ the former senator.
"Ang boto ko is DQ," the commissioner told GMA News. "Sa tingin ko may moral turpitude talaga based on evidence and the law. I will not keep it a secret."
Guanzon thinks that the delay has something to do with her retirement, which is set for Feb. 2. However, she had already submitted her opinion on Jan. 17 to the two other members of the First Division, Aimee Ferolino and Marlon Casquejo, who were appointed by President Rodrigo Duterte.
From the current Comelec commissioners in charge of the 2022 elections, Guanzon is the last one appointed by former president Noynoy Aquino in the poll body.
"To knock out my vote, they think they can invalidate it by releasing the decision of the ponente after I retire which cannot happen because I already submitted my separate opinion to all of them including the chair and all of the commissioners," she said.
"That should already be on the record that I voted already. The vote should be counted by the next presiding commissioner after me."
Guanzon also said that she was told the "unreasonable delay" was due to efforts to influence the commissioners.
"Parang unreasonable na yung delay. Ang kutob ko talaga may nakikialam na eh. May nakikialam na. Some people are trying to influence the commissioners. 'Yun ang ayaw ko," the commissioner said.
She expressed that she wanted the case resolved before she left Comelec, hoping that the decision would be released by Jan. 28.
It is in everyone's interest that the DQ cases of Marcos Jr reach the Supreme Ct as soon aa possible. We have 3 months and 2 weeks before election day @COMELEC @radyocomelec @dzbb @dzrhnews @inquirerdotnet— Rowena Guanzon (@rowena_guanzon) January 27, 2022
The First Division, led by Guanzon, is deciding on the disqualifications filed against Marcos by Bonifacio Ilagan, Akbayan Citizens' Action Party, et al, and Abubakar Mangelen. The ruling was supposed to be released on Jan. 17, but it was delayed due to Ferolino's lawyer contracting COVID-19.