Hades has won Best Game at the Bafta Games Awards 2021.
The roguelike action role-playing video game developed and published by Supergiant Games was the big winner at the 17th British Academy Video Game Awards, hosted by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts held on Thursday (Mar. 25).
The dungeon-crawler from the creators of Bastion, Transistor, and Pyre, made for PC and Nintendo Switch, took home five awards in total, including Artistic Achievement, Best Game, Game Design and Narrative.
Logan Cunningham, who voices Lord Hades, won his first BAFTA for a Performer in a Supporting Role. Hades has been consistenly commended by critics for its unique art style and distinctive gameplay.
Fan-favorite The Last of Us Part 2 received a record-breaking 13 nominations this year and took home three awards, including the audience-voted Game of the Year, Animation and Performer in a Leading Role for Laura Bailey who won her first BAFTA for portraying Abby.
Sackboy: A Big Adventure took the British Game and Family Game awards while Animal Crossing: New Horizons took the Game Beyond Entertainament and Multiplayer categories.
Siobhan Reddy, studio director at British video game developer Media Molecule, was honoured with the Fellowship, the highest honour the Academy can bestow.
This is the second year in a row that the Bafta Game Awards ceremony has been held online due to the lockdown. The event was held as a live-streamed event live through BAFTA’s social platforms with Elle Osili-Wood serving as host.
The Awards are supported by BAFTA’s official games partners Activision Blizzard, Electronic Arts, PlayStation, SEGA Europe LTD, Tencent Games and Ubisoft, with EE sponsoring the only award voted for by the public.
Outer Wilds won Best Game, Game Design and Original Property in the previous awards ceremony held last April 2020.
Here’s the full list of winners of the Bafta Game Awards 2021 honoring the best video games of the past year in lockdown.
- Animation: The Last of Us Part 2
- Artistic Achievement: Hades
- Audio Achievement: Ghost of Tsushima
- Best Game: Hades
- British Game: Sackboy: A Big Adventure
- Debut Game: Carrion
- Evolving Game: Sea of Thieves
- Family: Sackboy: A Big Adventure
- Game Beyond Entertainment: Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Game Design: Hades
- Multiplayer: Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Music: Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
- Narrative: Hades
- Original Property: Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition
- Performer in a Leading Role: Laura Bailey (The Last of Us Part 2)
- Performer in a Supporting Role: Logan Cunningham (Hades)
- Technical Achievement: Dreams
- EE Game of the Year: The Last of Us Part 2
Congratulations to all the winners and nominees!
(Images via Supergiant Games)