The Virgin Labfest has announced 12 new plays that will be staged in 2024.
Following the success of its 18th edition, the VLF—through a Facebook post by the Cultural Center of the Philippines—has revealed the plays that will be part of its 2024 lineup, including three titles from this year's affair.
The following one-act plays were chosen from 145 submissions for VLF's 19th year:
- Sentenaryo by Herlyn Alegre
- Vengeance of the Gods by Hans Pieter Arao
- Si Hesus naa sa US by Neil Azcuna
- Ningas by Lino Balmes
- Ang Munting Liwanag sa Madilim na Sulok ng Isang Serbeserya sa Maynila by Dustin Celestino
- The Foxtrot by Chesie Galvez-Cariño
- The Divine Family by Dip Mariposque
- Love on the Brain by Rick Patriarca
- Sa Babaeng Lahat by Elise Santos
- Pagkapit sa Hangin by Joshua Lim So
- Identité by Jhudiel Clare Sosa
- Abo-Kaykay: Ang Ikalawang Yugto by Ara Jenika Vinzon
Three plays from VLF 18 will also be returning to the stage next year, including Room 209 (written by Zheg Arban, directed by Delphine Buencamino), Ang Awit ng Dalagang Marmol (written by Andrew Estacio, directed by Nazer Salcedo), and Dominador Gonzales: National Artist (written by Dingdong Novenario, directed by George de Jesus).
Established in 2005, VLF is an annual festival of "untried, untested, and unstaged plays” that has showcased the brilliance of young artists and playwrights through the years. Its 18th edition was held at the Tanghalang Ignacio Gimenez or CCP Black Box Theater from June 7 to 25.