Earlier this month, Maginhawa’s beloved Cinema Centenario announced the permanent closure of its physical space amid the pandemic. The well-loved microcinema was known for screening the best Filipino-made films in the country, alternative and indie flicks.
Cinema Centenario started its operation in 2017 through the Maginhawa Film Festival, a showcase of Filipino films. The film festival was later developed into a competition festival in its second year, lining up the best Filipino films of 2018.
From Nov. 11- 22, 2020, the cinema is going “full circle” by making the Maginhawa Film Fest the closing program of Centenario and the official launch of MOOV, their digital platform to promote the future of Philippine cinema.
In a Facebook post Wednesday evening, Cinema Centenario shared that this year’s festival theme, “Transition,” is in line with their move forward to a digital platform to provide audiences an online space to appreciate cinema within the confines and safety of their homes.
Pinoy cinephiles can watch and support all 26 competing short films from the Open and Student Categories for only P160 with MFF2020 – Early Bird Pass available for purchase on their website until Oct. 31, 2020. Regular tickets will be priced at P200 for the All-Access Pass, and P120 for the student category and open categories.
There are thirteen films scheduled to be screened in the Open Category including Tokwifi, which won Best Film and the Netpack Jury Prize at Cinemalaya 2020 and Ang Gasgas na Plaka ni Lolo Bert, one of the 10 featured entries in this year’s premiere independent film festival. Another thirteen films are lined up in the student category.
Here’s the official competition lineup for the upcoming Maginhawa Film Festival 2020 as shared on Cinema Centenario’s Facebook page.
- Aksyon! directed by Frank Cedrik Go
- Ang Gasgas na Plaka ni Lolo Bert directed by Janina Gacosta & Cheska Marfori
- Ang Laswa ni Lola Mame directed by Vincent Joseph Entuna
- Ang Nagliliyab na Kasaysayan ng Pamilya Dela Cruz directed by Miguel Louie De Guzman
- Dude Pare Bro directed by Lora Cerdan
- FML directed by Terence Giourdan Gonzales
- Huni sa Kahilom directed by Lynn Lim
- Insrt Feeling directed by Mark Gerald Foliente
- Nilalang directed by Juan Carlo Tarobal
- Silang Mga Nakatago sa Dilim directed by Diana Maguiat and Angelica Nitura
- Tayo directed by Ron Dulatre & Elaiza Rivera
- Tokwifi directed by Carla Pulido Ocampo
- Viral Kids directed by Arjanmar Rebeta
- Ang Pagiging Babae directed by Nicole Rey
- Angkla directed by Frances Irish Villaflor
- Appside Down directed by Reyna Nicole Paner
- Awit sa Nawala directed by Regine Villazanta
- Baon Royale directed by Grace Clarisse Cinco
- Grasya directed by Audrey Vicencio
- Gubatlan directed by Denise Dar Juan
- Halcyon Days directed by Patricia Solano and Sally Barcial
- Imahen directed by Ivan Cortez Batallones
- Lakaw directed by Martin Espanya
- Non-Linear directed by Marben Portucela
- Siguro, Baka, Pwede directed by Yvette Mijares
- Trespas directed by Reyan Amacna
(Images from Cinema Centenario)