Beauty influencer James Charles will not be earning from his YouTube channel, which has 25.5 million followers, as it is temporarily demonetized by the video platform following his sexual-misconduct accusations by minors.
According to a statement from YouTube, it has removed the content creator from its Partner Program, which allows creators to monetize their content. Furthermore, it said that it has applied its “creator responsibility policy” to the makeup guru’s channel.
“If we see that a creator’s on- and/or off-platform behavior harms our users, community, employees or ecosystem, we may take action to protect the community,” the policy states.
YouTube is the second company that distanced itself from Charles. Last April 17, makeup brand Morphe and Charles “agreed to end our business relationship.”
The makeup brand wrote: “It is and has always been Morphe’s goal to create a positive, safe, and empowering space where all beauty lovers can freely share their artistry and passion, and Morphe is committed to that goal.”
In recent weeks, Charles was accused of sending explicit messages to over 15 men and minors. Charles then responded to these allegations through a vlog titled holding myself accountable.
Charles admitted that he has flirted with minors, but claims that the two of the victims lied about their ages. He also said that he had been “reckless” and that he will “take accountability for my actions and most importantly apologize to the people that were affected by them.”
“As an adult it is my job and my responsibility to verify who I’m talking to and therefore there is no one to blame for this than myself,” he said in the video.
Photos from James Charles' Instagram (@jamescharles)