Style Living Self Celebrity Geeky News and Views
In the Paper BrandedUp Hello! Create with us Privacy Policy

Australian two-year-old bitten by snake after crawling over the child at daycare center

By NICK GARCIA Published Nov 24, 2022 2:21 pm

In Australia, a two-year-old in a daycare center was bitten by a venomous snake after crawling over the child.

Local outlet 7 News reported that the child, who's at Kidz at the Beach nursery in Bowen town in Queensland state, was found with bite marks on their hand on Nov. 22.

The child didn't show symptoms of venom injection and was promptly transported to the hospital, in stable condition.

The child was already discharged from Mackay Hospital and Health Services, 7 News reported. Kidz at the Beach, meanwhile, didn't respond for comment.

Paramedics weren't able to identify the species of the snake, but described it as brown in color and about 40cm (1.3 feet) in length.

The brown snake species of the genus Pseudonaja are common in Australia. They're alert, fast-moving, and highly venomous, posing quite a danger to humans. The snakes are active during the daytime and feed on small lizards, mice, and ground-dwelling birds.

The best-known species is the eastern brown snake (Pseudonaja textilis), which grows to about 2m (7 feet).

The World Health Organization (WHO) has said that about 5.4 million people worldwide are bitten by snakes annually. Some 2.7 million of the cases are from venomous species.

About 81,000 to 138,000 people die of snakebites each year. Thrice the number results in amputations, paralyses, and other permanent disabilities.

In the event that a suspected venomous snake bites somebody—and the victim cannot be rushed to the hospital just yet for antivenom—the WHO advises the public to:

  • Immediately move away from the area where the bite occurred;
  • Remove anything tight from around the bitten part of the body to avoid harm if swelling occurs;
  • Reassure the victim, as most venomous snakebites do not cause immediate death;
  • Immobilize the person completely and transport the person to a health facility as soon as possible;
  • Applying pressure at the bite site with a pressure pad may be suitable in some cases;
  • Avoid traditional first aid methods or herbal medicines;
  • Paracetamol may be given for local pain (which can be severe);
  • Vomiting may occur, so place the person on their left side in the recovery position; and
  • Closely monitor the airway and breathing and be ready to resuscitate if necessary.