Elden Ring, an upcoming role-playing game collaboration between Bloodborne game director Hidetaka Miyazaki and novelist George R.R. Martin, won big at the Gamescom 2021 awards held last week.
The title set in a fantasy world imagined by FromSoftware's influential Dark Souls video game series and the author of A Song of Ice and Fire, received four awards in total, including Best RPG, Best Action Adventure, as well the prestigious Best of Gamescom award at the event. Elden Ring also won Best Sony PlayStation Game, which was announced alongside other platform categories during Opening Night Live.
— gamescom (@gamescom) August 27, 2021
Gamescom, an annual event for computer and video games, took place virtually this year between August 25 and August 27, with the winners announced during the opening night in cooperation with Geoff Keighly. The Gamescom Awards celebrate the best games presented during the annual games show. Both the finalists and winners were decided by a "jury of gaming experts" according to the event's website.
With 22 categories in total, the Gamescom Awards nominees were already announced ahead of the event, where Elden Ring was among the leading nominees.
Elden Ring is scheduled to be released for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S on January 21, 2022.
Game publisher Bandai Namco was also named the winner of Best Line-up. The studio also showed new trailers for Tales Of Arise and the third installment of The Dark Pictures Anthology series, House of Ashes.
On other platforms, Halo Infinite won Best Microsoft Xbox Game, Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope won Best Nintendo Switch Game, while Syberia: The World Before won Best PC Game.
Microsoft nabbed three wins — two for Halo Infinite, one for Age of Empires 4 — and Ubisoft, also with three wins, for Far Cry 6, Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope and Riders Republic.
Here’s the full list of winners announced during the GamesCom Awards 2021 that gamers can look forward to playing in the future.
- Best Action Adventure Game – Elden Ring
- Best Action Game – Far Cry 6
- Best Family Game – Super Dungeon Maker
- Best Indie – Lost in Random
- Best RPG – Elden Ring
- Best Simulation – Park Beyond
- Best Sports – Game Riders Republic
- Best Strategy – Age of Empires IV
- Best Multiplayer Game – Halo Infinite
- Best Support – Apex Legends
- Most original game – Dice Legacy
- Best Microsoft Xbox Game – Halo Infinite
- Best Nintendo Switch Game – Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
- Best PC Game – Syberia: The World Before
- Best Sony PlayStation Game – Elden Ring
- Best Announcement – Saints Row
- Best Trailer – Saints Row
- Best Line-up – Bandai Namco
- Best of Gamescom – Elden Ring
(Images via Bandai Namco)