Bea Alonzo officially became a Kapuso on Thursday, July 1, culminating weeks of speculation and reports about the status of her long-rumored transfer.
But while fans of Bea (as well as followers of the Kapuso Network) are happy for the 33-year-old actress' latest career move, some are questioning her for leaving ABS-CBN, her home network for over two decades.
Some showbiz followers found Bea's transfer ill-timed as she left Star Magic, ABS-CBN's talent management, late last year, just months after the network lost its franchise to operate on free TV.
Tbh, di kayang isalba ng talent ni Bea Alonzo yung lacklustre writing at bad cinematography ng GMA. So kahit ano'ng project ang ibigay sa kanya it wouldn't look as good as the ones she had sa ABS. ?
— Kryzzie ??? (@jayzhelle) July 2, 2021
hoy teka masyado kong affected sa pag alis ni bea sa kapamilya. bea alonzo is one of the faces of abs cbn network. it will never be the same anymore without her ??— ??????? ❃ (@luvyuandi) June 30, 2021
But ABS-CBN newscaster Karen Davila, who herself switched networks from GMA to ABS-CBN in 2001, took to Twitter to defend Bea's network move. While Karen did not name Bea in her tweet, it is clear that she is referring to the actress.
She said people should be slow in judging "a person's decision to leave" because we do not know the entire story.
Davila added that everyone needs to work. "Maliit po ang industriya. Bilog po ang mundo. Magkikita kita rin tayo. All will work out in God’s time," she said.
Let us be slow in casting judgment over a person’s decision to leave.— Karen Davila (@iamkarendavila) July 1, 2021
Hindi po natin alam ang buong kuwento. Lahat naman po tayo kailangang magtrabaho.
Maliit po ang industriya. Bilog po ang mundo. Magkikita kita rin tayo.
All will work out in God’s time.
During her media conference on Thursday, Bea said there is no bad bad blood between her and her former home network. “Nagpaalam ako ng maayos sa kabila. They gave me their blessing, they wished me luck and I could only be grateful," she said.
Bea's move coincides with perennial onscreen partner John Lloyd Cruz's TV comeback on GMA-7 last month. The actress said she would love to work with John Lloyd on GMA-7.
“That would be one of the greatest ideas ever and I would love to work with John Lloyd again,” said Bea. “But this time iba na 'yong environment but siyempre this time iba na 'yong mga kasama naming sa harap at likod ng camera and the other Kapuso stars. That would be exciting and something that I'm curious about. Sana no?”
Banner photo from Instagram/Karen Davila, Bea Alonzo