Gawad Alternatibo, the longest running independent film competition of its kind in Asia, recently announced the winners of the best Filipino cinematic works in various categories, including Animation, Experimental, Documentary, and Short Feature.
Now on its 32nd year, CCP Para Sa Alternatibong Pelikula at Video shifted from a three-day on-site screening to an online streaming platform this year. It was one of the main components of the 16th Cinemalaya Philippine Independent Film Festival, which was also held virtually.
The film competition and festival ran from August 7 to 15 via CCP Vimeo for the screenings, Cinemalaya FBLive, Gawad Alternatibo FBLive and KUMU for talkbacks and special events.
The event launched its 5th Category on Emerging Media, an exhibition of current works, which featured interviews and game demos of notable local games being developed by Filipino game developers.
Here are the winners in the different categories:
- SARUNG BANGGI by Dominic James Barrios - 1st prize/Best Regional Entry
- BIGAS by Bryan Almoneda - 2nd prize
- MEOWBOT3000 VS FISHZILLA by Mio Dagsaan - 3rd prize/ Best Entry For/On/By Children
- PAUWI KA NA BA? by Angel Tomas - Honorable Mention
- Jury: Book illustrator/artist Bernadette Solina-Wolf, comic book artist-animator Arnold Arre, and animator-filmmaker/sound engineer RJ Mabilin.
- (1st prize was not awarded this year)
- HOLLOW BLOCKS by Jonathan Jose Zamora Olarte - 2nd prize
- POWER VIOLENCE by Tron Victoriano & Chino de Vera - 2nd prize
- LAUGH AND DIE by Jonathan Jose Zamora Olarte - 3rd prize/ Best Regional entry
- BLINKERS by JP Bonoan - Honorable Mention/Best Entry For/On/By Children
- Jury: Director/sound designer Karl Glenn Barit, visual artist Russel “Dr. Karayom” Trinidad, and director/production designer Juan Manuel “Whammy” Alcarazen.
- DAGAMI DAYTOY (This is our Land) by Nonilon Abao - 1st prize
- PANAGHOY SA SELDA by Ruth Camacho - 2nd prize
- STILL HERE, STILL WALKING by Katrina Isabelle G. Catalan - 3rd prize
- TEATRO NG PAGTANGIS by Glenn Atanacio - Honorable Mention
- Jury: Filmmaker/professor Adjani “Jaja” Arumpac, visual artist/filmmaker J. Luis “JL” Burgos and documentary producer Bryan Kristoffer Brazil.
- VICTORIANA by Cecil Chloe L. Capatoy - 1st prize
- SORRY by Kristian A. Cruz - 2nd prize
- SA HUNASAN MAY SANTERMO (At the Shoreline there’s Santermo) by Niño B. Maldecir - 3rd prize
- TAMBAY by Zyril Bundoc - Honorable Mention.
- ANNE’S TALKSHOW by Gian Andre Rembrandt Arre - Best Entry For/On/By Children
- MAUPAY NGA AGA, PUNITI KITA (Good Morning, Let’s Fight) by Joi Villablanca - Best Regional Entry
- Jury: Director Arden Rod Condez, Director Ida Anita del Mundo and actress Bela Padilla.
Congratulations to all the category winners and participants!
(Images copyright to their original owners)