The public has reacted negatively to Willie Revillame’s statement to “set aside politics” following the reported suspension of AllTV programs, including Wowowin, one of the longest-running game shows in the country.
"Siyempre you have to understand. Nagsisimula pa lang po ang ALLTV. Nagsisimula pa lang kami, sanggol pa lang ito. Talagang wala pang commercial na papasok dito kasi wala pa kaming reach. Wala pa kaming signal. Sinisimulan pa lang, e," Revillame said in the Feb. 4 episode of Wowowin.
“Sana ipagdasal niyo kami na maging successful ito para maraming istasyon na maraming magawa. Marami kayong madinig na kabutihan, diba? Set aside ‘yung pulitika," he said, adding that the public has still a lot to discover with regards to the truth about the frequency.
"Ayaw ko na lang magsalita na pangungunahan ko sila.”
The television host was addressing critics of the Manny Villar-owned Advanced Media Broadcasting System Inc. (AMBS) in relation to circulating reports that ALLTV will temporarily cease airing some of its shows, including Wowowin, Toni Gonzaga's talk show Toni, and the morning show M.O.Ms, hosted by Mariel Rodriguez, Ciara Sotto and Ruffa Gutierrez.
The report added that the management has already informed the talents and that they will still be paid with their talent fees as agreed upon.
However, Revillame’s statement, in turn, has received backlash online.
"Camille Villar was among the 70 lawmakers who voted to REJECT the renewal of ABS-CBN’s franchise. And then Villar’s AllTV, who just entered the television industry suddenly got Channel 2’s franchise. Set aside politics? No! Never!" said one Twitter user.
These critics included personalities associated with ABS-CBN.
Pinoy Big Brother alumnus Justin Dizon posted: “NO. The only reason your station existed is because of politics. This is emotional blackmail of the highest order. Hindi kayo ang naagrabyado rito. Your supposed supporters cheered the loudest when ABS-CBN was brought to its knees.”
"Ba't nung kami yung sinarado at hindi binigyan ng Franchise at nawalan ng mga dati naming work pinakinggan po ba kami?" former ABS-CBN jockey DJ Jhahho posted.
Similarly, former ABS-CBN reporter Kevin Manalo countered Revillame's "set aside politics" statement.
“Did they consider this too when 11,000 media workers/employees were about to lose their jobs?” Manalo posted.
"Lest we forget, they did all this at the height of a pandemic...A WORLD CRISIS. Information is vital for public service diba... 'Set aside yung politika.'"
AMBS has yet to issue an official statement regarding this report.
Previously, the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) granted AMBS provisional authority to operate using Channel 16. It was similarly granted the simulcast channel number 2, which is the paired analog channel in Mega Manila of digital channel 16.
The NTC in May 2020 issued a cease and desist order against ABS-CBN, which previously operated the same digital TV frequencies.