Sam "Sam YG" Gogna has emceed over 900 wedding receptions in his entire career, but now, it's his time to finally have a wedding of his own. The Boys Night Out host is excited for his upcoming wedding to fiancée Essa Santos and he's making sure to involve himself in the planning as much as possible.
"We’re actually working on everything together with our coordinator. Right now, division of tasks. When it comes to colors, mas magaling si Essa. When it comes to contacts—booking the priest, booking the venue, yung church—'yun yung department ko so far," the radio and television personality told PhilSTAR L!fe in an exclusive interview.
Sam, who got engaged early this year, shared he dreams of an inimate celebration.
"I’ve seen so much in the past 16 years of me hosting. So my dream wedding is actually something intimate—just family and friends. It’s really about the vibe. It’s the people that are there that really matter and would make the wedding fun. Sa’kin mas simple, mas maganda," he said.
As of now, everything is "up in the air," given the current situation, but the couple has already started with the planning, with the help of their event coordinator Chinkie Uy of Metro Eventscape.
"I think what’s extra challenging now is we really don’t know when this situation will end. We don’t know exactly what’s going to happen in the coming months. Hopefully, by next year, medyo okay na. Marami nang vaccinated. Things are a bit more normal," Sam shared.
Detoxing for a better overall wellness
As they wait for the situation to get a little better, right now, Sam is already doing his personal preparations—which include detoxing, diet, and exercise—to get ready for the Big Day, adding that oral detox is also "a vital part of one's physical wellness."
"During these days, I need to ensure even my mouth is clean and protected, because the mouth is a gateway for germs to enter the body," Sam said, continuing that "you never know what’s going on inside your mouth." Sam added: "Brushing alone isn’t enough since there are areas in our mouth na hindi abot. Mag-mouthwash din with Listerine for a whole mouth clean! This is as equally important as eating a healthy diet."
What he does is very simple: brush-floss-gargle twice a day. "Just as how you sanitize your hand, siyempre you also gargle your mouth kasi germs can build up inside. It can lead to mouth problems like plaque and bad breath that I don’t want to be bothered with especially during my wedding," Sam added, saying he uses the Listerine Aloe & Cucumber variant, which has zero alcohol and no sting.
"A lot of people take this for granted until sumakit na yung ngipin o may problem na. More than detox, prevention is better than cure," he noted.
Prepare yourself mentally, too
But Sam reminds grooms and brides not to stress themselves too much about how they look or how the wedding will be.
"I think it’s also striking a balance. Ayaw mo naman masyadong pahirapan sarili mo. You want the wedding planning experience to be fun as well na hindi masyadong stressful," the groom-to-be reminded.
Sharing that mental preparation is also a must, Sam ends his message to remind everyone to look after their mental health, too.
"More than the physical, it’s really getting your mind in check," he said. "I always say this to people: your mind and your body are connected. A healthy body would lead to a healthy mind. So everything goes hand in hand kaya it’s very important to detox. Just so you have your mind in place as well, more than your body."
Sam's wedding planning tips for grooms-to-be:
- It could be stressful, but learn to enjoy the process. You have to realize that the wedding is just a day but what you’re preparing for is being married. I think that’s more important than the wedding day.
- Huwag kayong mag-away. Make sure it would be good to delegate tasks. Set timelines. Without timelines, baka mag-cram kayo and that’s where stress really starts.
- Take it easy. We’re all going through crazy times these days. Just be a bit easy on yourself as well.
- To look and feel great, you guys know the drill. Exercise. Eat the right food. When it comes to being healthy, kasama diyan oral health. Kung anong sipag mong mag-toothbrush, dapat ganun din sa mouthwash. All it takes is 30 seconds to get an overall healthy mouth. It’s part of your physical health para iwas problema down the road. If you can work out together, that would be great para meron kayong hobby. Diet diet konti. Always eat in moderation.
- Set your priorities. Tignan niyo yung mga priorities niyo baka doon kayo mag-debate: flowers, food, alcohol, the people that are really important. How would the venue look? Get a good wedding planner or coordinator because they will be connecting you to suppliers that fit your needs. Like I said in my post, mahal mo siya but mas mahal magpakasal.
Photo from Sam YG's Instagram (@_samyg)