Today, Nov. 15, is the deadline of the Commission on Elections for the filing of withdrawals and substitutions of certificates of candidacy for the 2022 national elections.
As the minutes wind down toward the deadline, a number of key political figures are expected to show up at the Comelec headquarters in Intramuros to beat the clock.
President Duterte to run for senator in 2022 elections
President Rodrigo Duterte is not retiring from politics just yet, as he is set to vie for a senatorial seat in the 2022 national elections.
Duterte, through his lawyer, has filed his certificate of candidacy to be the substitute of Liza Visorde of Pederalismo ng Dugong Dakilang Samahan, who has withdrawn her senatorial bid.
Sen. Bong Go, former aide of the president, said Duterte did not want to have a confrontation with Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio, who earlier filed her certificate of candidacy for vice president.
Harry Roque files COC for senator, hopes to be an ‘action man’ in the Senate
Harry Roque has filed his certificate of candidacy for senator.
Roque delivered his last press briefing as presidential spokesperson on Nov. 15, where he announced his resignation and mentioned his plans to seek a seat in the Senate at the tail-end of the briefing.
TINGNAN: Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque, tatakbo bilang senador sa eleksyon 2022 sa pamamagitan ng substitution on the basis of withdrawal sa ilalim ng People Reforms Party. | via Karen Villanda pic.twitter.com/ypPDqwFLNs— PTVph (@PTVph) November 15, 2021
“Babalik po tayo sa larangan ng pulitika, babalik po tayo sa Kongreso ng Pilipinas doon po sa Kamara ng Senado,” he declared.
“Nagpaalam na po ako kay Presidente Rodrigo Roa Duterte at kay Mayor Inday Sara Duterte para sa panibagong hamon na aking haharapin. Mula sa pagiging inyong spox, nais ko pong maging “action man” sa Senado,” he added.
The former human rights lawyer is running for senator as a substitute candidate for Paolo Martelino. “Wala pong pagloloko dahil ‘yan po ay allowed sa ating batas. Kaya nga po antayin natin ang desisyon ng Kongreso, kung ano ang gagawin dito sa rule on substitutions. Sa ngayon po, ‘yan po ay legal,” he stressed.
Roque was supposed to vie for the same position in 2019, but he dropped his bid in February of the same year due to medical reasons.
Former NTF-ELCAC spox Antonio Parlade Jr seeks presidency
Retired Lieutenant General Antonio Parlade Jr. is running for president at the 2022 national elections.
Parlade, who was the former spokesman of the National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (NTF-ELCAC), said he will be running under the Katipunan ng Demokratikong Pilipino (KDP) to replace Antonio Valdes, who withdrew his candidacy on Saturday, Nov. 13.
However, Valdes was running as an independent candidate even if he’s a member of the KDP, as per COMELEC’s partial list of candidates.
Previously, COMELEC spokesperson James Jimenez reiterated that substitution is not allowed for independent candidates who has withdrawn their COC.
Parlade was the NTF-ELCAC spokesperson until he left weeks before his mandatory retirement from the military in July. He was named as the deputy director-general of the National Security Council in September.
Parlade has been involved in several red-tagging incidents with celebrities like Liza Soberano and Angel Locsin, among others.
Former NTF-ELCAC spokesperson Lt. Gen. Antonio Parlade on Monday filed his certificate of candidacy for president under the Katipunan ng Demokratikong Pilipino. Parlade is substituting for Antonio Valdes. pic.twitter.com/dB5PaWaE8F— The Philippine Star (@PhilippineStar) November 15, 2021
Former PNP Chief Guillermo Eleazar files COC for senator via substitution
Retired Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief Guillermo Eleazar has filed his certificate of candidacy (COC) for senator via substitution on Monday, Nov. 15.
Retired PNP chief Guillermo Eleazar on Monday filed his certificate of candidacy for senator under Sen. Panfilo Lacson’s Partido Para Sa Demokratikong Reporma. The former PNP chief is substituting for Paolo Capino. pic.twitter.com/XnQkqgJhFT— The Philippine Star (@PhilippineStar) November 15, 2021
Eleazar personally formalized his candidacy for senator at the Commission on Elections (COMELEC) office in Intramuros, Manila. Eleazar, who’s running for senator under Sen. Panfilo Lacson’s Partido Para sa Demokratikong Repora, is substituting for PWD advocate Paolo Capino.
Capino announced his withdrawal from the senatorial race on Friday, Nov. 12, citing his low survey ranking.
I am officially announcing my withdrawal from the Senate race.— Paolo Capino (@paolocapino) November 12, 2021
The last survey which included my name in it, means my chances of winning are slim to none.
I recognize the need to further introduce myself and my advocacies. pic.twitter.com/aiEl0xsjCw
Eleazar served as PNP Chief from May to November 2021.