Style Living Self Geeky News and Views
In the Paper Shop Hello! Create with us

Duterte drops out of 2022 Senate race, Go formalizes presidential bid withdrawal

By AYIE LICSI Published Dec 14, 2021 5:38 pm

President Rodrigo Duterte has dropped out of the 2022 Senate race, formally withdrawing his bid in the 2022 elections on Dec. 14.

Duterte, accompanied by Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea, filed his certificate of withdrawal with the Commission on Elections, hours after his longtime aide Sen. Bong Go formalized his withdrawal from the presidential race.

The move also comes hours after his daughter, VP aspirant and Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio, included the 76-year-old president in her senatorial line-up. Her endorsed senatorial candidates also include former Quezon City Mayor Herbert Bautista, the plunder-accused former senator Jinggoy Estrada, Deputy Speaker Loren Legarda, former presidential spokesperson Harry Roque, former Defense Sec. Gilbert Teodoro, and former Public Works Sec. Mark Villar.

Since Duterte withdrew his bid after the Nov. 15 deadline for substitution of candidates, Pederalismo ng Dugong Dakilang Samahan (PDDS) cannot put forward another person to substitute for him.

However, the president can substitute for another candidate until midday of election day if they share the same surname, or if the aspirant involuntarily withdraws due to death or disqualification.

Earlier this year, Duterte said he wanted to retire from politics despite being PDP-Laban's vice presidential pick. Then, in November, he filed his candidacy for senator, substituting for PDDS' Liza Visorde days after his daughter announced her VP bid.

Meanwhile, Go, who initially ran for vice president, later substituted for the country's top post. On Nov. 30, he withdrew his candidacy, citing that he did not want the president to get caught in the middle of election drama. Comelec spokesman James Jimenez said there will be no substitution for Go.