The Sandman has found its Death, along with a dozen new cast members playing popular characters in Netflix’s adaptation of Neil Gaiman‘s epic dark fantasy graphic novel series.
The streaming giant announced the casting of 12 new actors joining The Sandman playing major characters, including Endless siblings Death, Desire, and Despair, as well as John Dee, Johanna Constantine, and Rose Walker, a character whose existence threatens Morpheus’ realm, The Dreaming.
Gaiman himself wrote the latest announcement for Netflix, teasing the comic storyline “The Doll’s House,” which is in production.
- Kirby Howell-Baptiste is Death, Dream’s wiser sister.
- Mason Alexander Park is Desire, Dream’s sibling, and desire personified.
- Donna Preston is Despair, Dream’s sister, and the twin of Desire.
- Jenna Coleman is Johanna Constantine, haunted exorcist and Occult Adventuress for Hire.
- Niamh Walsh is Young Ethel Cripps, a betrayed and determined young woman seeking to survive.
- Joely Richardson is Ethel Cripps, Master thief and woman of a thousand identities.
- David Thewlis is John Dee, Ethel’s son. Dangerous, insane and on a quest for truth.
- Kyo Ra is Rose Walker, a young woman on a desperate search for her missing brother. She discovers a connection to Dream that neither of them can escape.
- Stephen Fry is Gilbert, Debonair protector of Rose Walker.
- Razane Jammal is Lyta Hall, Rose’s best friend and travel companion.
- Sandra James Young is Unity Kincaid, Heiress and mysterious benefactor.
- Patton Oswalt will voice Matthew the Raven, Dream’s trusted emissary. A Raven.
The impressive list of actors will co-star alongside previously announced cast including Tom Sturridge (Velvet Buzzsaw) as Morpheus, Lord of the Dreaming; Gwendoline Christie (Game of Thrones) as Lucifer Morningstar, the Ruler of Hell; Sanjeev Bhaskar and Amid Chaudry as Cain and Abel, Charles Dance (Roderick Burgess), Vivienne Acheampong (Lucienne), and Boyd Holbrook (The Corinthian).
still not emotionally recovered from how absolutely stacked the cast is for The Sandman pic.twitter.com/opUqlfTYlI— Netflix Geeked (@NetflixGeeked) May 26, 2021
Allan Heinberg (Wonder Woman, Grey’s Anatomy) will serve as showrunner and executive producer of the project alongside Gaiman and David S. Goyer (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Krypton, Foundation).
Netflix describes the upcoming adaptation as a rich blend of modern myth and dark fantasy in which contemporary fiction, historical drama and legend are seamlessly interwoven. The Sandman follows the people and places affected by Morpheus, the Dream King, as he mends the cosmic and human mistakes he's made during his vast existence.
Following the news yesterday, Neil Gaiman himself shared detailed descriptions of the characters and the stories behind the casting choices via Netflix's wesbite, which you can read in full here.
This is where I tell you about casting, and reveal a few tidbits about the upcoming Sandman season... https://t.co/iFMdrVzfiu— Neil Gaiman (@neilhimself) May 26, 2021
(Images via Netflix/DC)