A new 50-minute Nintendo Direct presentation went live late Wednesday (Feb. 17) dropping loads of news regarding upcoming games arriving for the Switch in the first half of 2021.
Nintendo kicked off its first Direct since September 2019 with the announcement that both Pyra and Mytha from the Xenoblade Chronicles series will be joining Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as playable fighters. Pyra is expected to blaze into battle while Mythra awakens in March 2021.
No updates were given for the highly anticipated Breath of the Wild sequel, but Legend of Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma did announce that the game is in development and more news would be revealed later this year.
The Legend of Zelda's franchise is celebrating its 35th anniversary soon. Aonuma did reveal that The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword would be re-released on the Nintendo Switch on July 16, 2021 in HD, along with a special Skyward Sword-themed edition Joy-Con.
The long-awaited Splatoon 3 has been confirmed for a 2022 release. Nintendo's most creative IP is back again, for another bout of ink-based warfare. The reveal trailer emphasized a desert-world theme heading to a new city called Splatlands and gave fans a glimpse at a new bow weapon, customization options, and more to enjoy.
A new tactical RPG from Square Enix, Project Triangle Strategy, is also expected to be released in 2022. A demo for the game became available on Nintendo eShop after the livestream.
Mario Golf: Super Rush is getting a Switch release on June 25, 2021. This new Mario Golf game features a Speed Golf multiplayer mode, motion controls, a Story Mode, and much more.
Star Wars Hunters, a new free-to-play, squad-based, online multiplayer game by Zynga that is set between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens, is also headed to Switch in 2021.
Last year’s indie breakout hit Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout is heading to the Nintendo Switch this summer, along with Outer Wilds. Previously, Fall Guys was only available for PC, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5.
A Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection was announced for Switch which will bring together remasters of Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Ninjda Gaiden Sigma 2, and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge. The collection will be released on June 10, 2021.
Animal Crossing: New Horizons is getting some Super Mario Bros.-themed items—including coins, thwomps, blocks, mushrooms and usable warp pipes—with a free update on Feb. 25, and items dropping in the game after the update on March 1, 2021.
The Nintendo 3DS RPG known as Miitopia, which features Mii avatars that lets you battle enemies, travel to different worlds, build homes, and make relationships with others, is arriving on the Switch on May 21, 2021.
Two Famicom Detective games, namely Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir and Famicom Detective Club: The Girl Who Stands Behind are getting English-language releases for the first time. The two games will be released on the Switch on May 14, 2021.
Samurai Warriors 5, a spin-off of the Dynasty Warriors franchise, will also be slashing its way to the Nintendo Switch this Summer 2021.
After 20 long years, the fan-favorite classic Square RPG Legend of Mana is coming to the Nintendo Switch with remastered graphics and additional features such as the ability to turn off enemy encounters.
For those who miss the good old days, Capcom Arcade Stadium, which includes 32 of Capcom’s arcade classics, is now available on the Nintendo Switch. Fans can get 1943-The Battle of Midway for free and purchase additional packs, as well as the Ghosts 'n Goblins stand-alone add-on.
A new trailer for Monster Hunter Rise was also unveiled ahead of its release date on March 26, 2021.
Loads of other games and their release dates for the Switch were announced. To summarize, here are the titles expected to be released chronologically this year and next.
Coming in 2021
- Capcom Arcade Stadium - Feb 17, 2021
- Bravely Default 2 - February 26, 2021
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Xenoblade Chronicles - March 2021
- Super Mario Bros.-themed items in Animal Crossing New Horizons - March 1, 2021
- Apex Legends - March 9, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie - March 16, 2021
- Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville Complete Edition - March 19, 2021
- Hades - March 19, 2021
- Tales From the Borderlands - March 24, 2021
- Monster Hunter Rise - March 26, 2021
- Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir & Famicom Detective Club: The Girl Who Stands Behind - May 14, 2021
- Knockout City - May 21, 2021
- Miitopia - May 21, 2021
- World’s End Club - May 28, 2021
- Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity expansion pass - May 28, 2021
- DC Superhero Girls: Teen Power - June 4, 2021
- Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection - June 10, 2021
- Legend of Mana Remaster - June 24, 2021
- Mario Golf: Super Rush - June 25, 2021
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - July 16, 2021
- No More Heroes III - Aug. 27, 2021
- Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout - Summer 2021
- Outer Wilds - Summer 2021
- Samurai Warriors 5 - Summer 2021
- Neon White - Winter 2021
- Star Wars Hunters - 2021
Coming in 2022
- Splatoon 3 - 2022
- Project Triangle Strategy - 2022
According to Nintendo, due to COVID-19, the release dates and other information shared during the Direct are still subject to change. For further updates, be sure to check out the official Nintendo website and their social media channels.
Check out the full Nintendo Direct 2021 below:
(Images via Nintendo)