WandaVision, the series that kicked off Phase 4 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe on Disney Plus bagged four awards including best show at the MTV Movie & TV Awards held last Sunday.
After taking a year off due to the pandemic, the fan-voted awards show returned in front of a live audience at the Hollywood Palladium in Los Angeles. The awards show is notable for featuring popular blockbusters, unisex groups, and unconventional categories such as “Best Kiss” and “Most Frightened Performance.”
The Marvel Comics-inspired mini series that takes place after the events of the 2019 film Avengers: Endgame beat out other fan-favorites Bridgerton, Cobra Kai, Emily in Paris and The Boys for the plum prize.
WandaVision star Elizabeth Olsen won best performance in a show for her portrayal of Avenger Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch in the gender-neutral individual categories for acting.
"Marvel fans, you guys are just the greatest fans anyone can have and I've loved playing this part for seven years," she said on stage, while accepting her award.
OK I *NEED* at least one more @wandavision episode so I can see Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn on screen together again.— Movie & TV Awards (@MTVAwards) May 17, 2021
Congrats to WandaVision on winning Best Show! #MTVAwards pic.twitter.com/DkdenGZVJi
The series also took home the prizes for Best Villain for Kathryn Hahn and Best Fight for “Wanda vs. Agatha.”
This year's other hit Marvel series, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, took home the prize for Best Duo for Falcon (Anthony Mackie) & Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan), as well as the Best Hero award for Mackie.
Black Panther star Chadwick Boseman, who was snubbed in the recent Oscar Awards, won Best Performance in a movie for the music drama Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.
Meanwhile, Black Widow star Scarlett Johansson was covered in slime by her husband, Saturday Night Live comedian Colin Jost, while remotely accepting the Generation Award.
Regé-Jean Page won Best Breakthrough performance for his role as the Duke of Hastings in the period drama Bridgerton, Netflix's hit show.
Check out the full list of winners and nominees for the scripted categories below.
- WINNER: WandaVision
- Cobra Kai
- Emily in Paris
- The Boys
- WINNER: To All the Boys: Always and Forever
- Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
- Judas and the Black Messiah
- Promising Young Woman
Best Performance in a Show
- WINNER: Elizabeth Olsen – WandaVision
- Anya Taylor-Joy – The Queen's Gambit
- Elliot Page – The Umbrella Academy
- Emma Corrin – The Crown
- Michaela Coel – I May Destroy You
Best Performance in a Movie
- WINNER: Chadwick Boseman – Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
- Carey Mulligan – Promising Young Woman
- Daniel Kaluuya – Judas and the Black Messiah
- Sacha Baron Cohen – The Trial of the Chicago 7
- Zendaya – Malcolm & Marie
- WINNER: Anthony Mackie – The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
- Gal Gadot – Wonder Woman 1984
- Jack Quaid – The Boys
- Pedro Pascal – The Mandalorian
- Teyonah Parris – WandaVision
- WINNER: Chase Stokes & Madelyn Cline – Outer Banks
- Jodie Comer & Sandra Oh – Killing Eve
- Lily Collins & Lucas Bravo – Emily in Paris
- Maitreyi Ramakrishnan & Jaren Lewison – Never Have I Ever
- Regé-Jean Page & Phoebe Dynevor – Bridgerton
Best Comedic Performance
- WINNER: Leslie Jones – Coming 2 America
- Annie Murphy – Schitt's Creek
- Eric Andre – Bad Trip
- Issa Rae – Insecure
- Jason Sudeikis – Ted Lasso
- WINNER: Kathryn Hahn – WandaVision
- Aya Cash – The Boys
- Ewan McGregor – Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)
- Giancarlo Esposito – The Mandalorian
- Nicholas Hoult – The Great
- WINNER: Regé-Jean Page – Bridgerton
- Antonia Gentry – Ginny & Georgia
- Ashley Park – Emily in Paris
- Maria Bakalova – Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
- Paul Mescal – Normal People
- WINNER: WandaVision – Wanda vs. Agatha
- Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) – Final Funhouse Fight
- Cobra Kai – Finale House Fight
- The Boys – Starlight, Queen Maeve, Kimiko vs. Stormfront
- Zack Snyder's Justice League – Final Fight vs. Steppenwolf
Most Frightened Performance
- WINNER: Victoria Pedretti – The Haunting of Bly Manor
- Elisabeth Moss – The Invisible Man
- Jurnee Smollett – Lovecraft Country
- Simona Brown – Behind Her Eyes
- Vince Vaughn – Freaky
- WINNER: The Falcon and the Winter Soldier – Falcon (Anthony Mackie) & Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan)
- Barb & Star Go To Vista Del Mar – Star (Kristen Wiig) & Barb (Annie Mumolo)
- The Mandalorian – Din Djarin (Pedro Pascal) & Grogu
- Emily in Paris – Emily Cooper (Lily Collins) & Mindy Chen (Ashley Park)
- Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan – Borat Sagdiyev (Sacha Baron Cohen) & Tutar Sagdiyev (Maria Bakalova)
The MTV Movie & TV Awards also honored Borat star Sacha Baron Cohen with the Comedic Genius Award, who joked about cancelling himself over his controversial characters. The British actor reprised his roles as Ali G, Borat, Bruno and Admiral General Aladeen during Sunday's ceremony.
(Banner image via Marvel Studios)