Filipino-made animated short film Ang Lihim ni Leasuccessfully bagged a total of nine recognitions abroad for its brave approach in tackling child sexual abuse and empowering victims to speak out.
Directed by Rico Gutierrez, Ang Lihim ni Lea(Lea’s Secret) tells the story of innocent girl Lea, who believes she has the superpower ability to pass through walls and closed doors. However, Lea’s teacher found out that this was her coping mechanism to forget about the abuse she receives from her father.
For its importance and timely message, the film took home the Grand Prize Animation: Silk Road Award at the Cannes International Independent Film Festival and Best Short Film Animation at the Buenos Aires International Film Festival last October.
Apart from the double wins at Cannes and Buenos Aires, Ang Lihim ni Lea also bagged top recognition from seven other international award-giving bodies:
- Best Original Story and Grand Jury Award Best Animation from the New York International Film Awards
- Best Original Story and Best Main Theme from the Oniros Film Festivals
- Best Animated Short from American Golden Picture International Film Festival
- Best Children Short from the Independent Short Awards
- Best Children Short from Indie Short Fest
- Best Creative for the Europe Film Festival
- Best Director and Honorable Mention at Best Animation from the Top Short Films Festival
Ang Lihim ni Lea is also set to represent the country in the upcoming Madrid Indie Film Festival, Rome Independent Prisma Awards, Paris Lift-Off Festival, and the ARFF Barcelona International Awards.
The film was based on a children’s book of the same title, written by Augie Rivera and illustrated by Ghani Madueño. It was published by the Adarna House and Soroptimist International of Hope Baguio back in 2007.
This animated short featured the voices of several celebrities, including Eugene Domingo as the narrator, Alessandra de Rossi as Lea’s teacher, and comedienne Candy Pangilinan as the mother.
Check out the trailer here:
View this post on Instagram