We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on PhilSTAR Life. By continuing, you are agreeing to our privacy policy and our use of cookies. Find out more here.

I agreeI disagree

generations The 100 List Style Living Self Celebrity Geeky News and Views
In the Paper BrandedUp Watch Hello! Create with us Privacy Policy

Jam Ignacio surrenders to NBI after alleged assault of Jellie Aw

Published Feb 22, 2025 12:32 pm

Warning: This article contains mentions of assault.

Jam Ignacio surrendered to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) over a week after his fiancée, DJ Jellie Aw, filed a formal complaint against him for allegedly beating her up. 

According to The Philippine STAR, Ignacio arrived at the bureau to face the consequences of his actions on Friday, Feb. 21.

NBI Director Jaime Santiago clarified that they did not issue a warrant of arrest against him.

"Matagal nang nangyari ang kaso, 'di na appropriate for warrantless arrest, 'di ko siya aarestuhin but then dapat malaman niya na yung crime na nacommit niya ay public crime. We have to file it in the prosecutor’s office, bahala na ang piskal paano titimbangin ang ebidensiyang aming isasampa," he explained, per GMA News.

"Kung magkakasundo man sila ni Jellie, wala na kami doon, sa piskal na sila magusap," he added.

ABS-CBN News detailed that Ignacio continues to express his regret over the incident.

"Patuloy siya na humihingi ng paumanhin sa nangyari, nagkabiglaan lang daw. But then, hindi dapat nanakit ng babae," Santiago shared.

Nevertheless, the case will still proceed as a direct filing.

"'Yung krimen na nagawa niya ay public crime. So wala kaming magagawa kundi i-file ang kaso," the NBI chief said.

Assault allegations

Aw took to her social media pages early morning of Feb. 12 to share photos of her swollen and bruised-up face after allegedly being beaten up by Ignacio, who is the ex-boyfriend of TV host Karla Estrada. 

Her sister, Jo, detailed the incident, saying Ignacio suddenly beat up Aw in a locked car.

She added that Aw was only able to cry for help when they were at a toll gate. Aw then got a medical checkup before they filed a police report.

Ignacio has issued a public apology to Aw for the alleged assault, telling GMA News that their "simple misunderstanding" turned into a bigger fight between them.

"Sa simpleng hindi pagkakaunawaan, may halo na rin sigurong pagod sa maghapon na lakad namin... kumbaga, tao lang din siguro ako, kumbaga, baka napuno lang din siguro ako na hindi ko sinasabi na tama, pero hindi ko para i-tolerate na gawin ulit," he said.

"Humihingi ako ng tawad. Pasensya na talaga, sorry sa lahat," he said. "Sa mga kapatid, sa mga kaibigan, dito ako haharap sa inyo. Humaharap na humihingi ng taos-puso na sorry. Sorry, sobrang sorry, lalo na sa mommy ni Jellie. Ma, sorry, ma. Alam niyo 'yan na mahal na mahal ko si Jellie."

While Ignacio asked his fiancée to settle the issue privately, promising that he won't commit the same mistakes again, Aw said that she will no longer push through with their wedding and that she will move forward with the assault complaint.

"Wala na pong kasal na magaganap o matutuloy. Hindi na po matutuloy ‘yung mga napag-usapan namin dahil po sa nangyari," she said.

"Nung una pa lang naman po, napatawad ko na si Jam, pero itutuloy ko pa rin po ‘yung kaso. Hindi po pwedeng napuno lang siya eh. Paano 'pag binigyan ko pa po siya ng second chance, paano 'pag napuno po siya ulit sa akin? Gagawin niya ulit ‘yun, mas grabe pa," she continued.

The two got engaged in November last year after four months of dating. 

If you are, or if you personally know someone experiencing domestic violence, don’t hesitate to seek help to stop the abuse. 

The Philippine Commission on Women has shared important contact details if such abuses were to occur: 

POLICE/INVESTIGATION ASSISTANCE 

PNP Hotline: 177 
Aleng Pulis Hotline: 0919 777 7377 
PNP Women and Children Protection Center 
24/7 AVAWCD Office: (02) 8532-6690 
Email address: wcpc_pnp@yahoo.com / wcpc_vawcd@yahoo.com / avawcd.wcpc@pnp.gov.ph

LEGAL ASSISTANCE 

Public Attorney’s Office (PAO) 
Hotline: (02) 8929-9436 local 106, 107, or 159 (local “0” for operator) 
(+62) 9393233665 
Email address: pao_executive@yahoo.com 

REFERRAL SERVICES 

Inter-Agency Council on Violence Against Women and their 
Children 
Mobile numbers: 09178671907 | 09178748961 
Email address: iacvawc@pcw.gov.ph

News Hub
Icon