Prince Harry and wife Meghan Markle will not return as working members of the royal family, the Buckingham Palace said in a statement Friday.
After the couple stepped back as senior members of the Royal family in January last year, a 12-month review was set in place to assess their move.
“Following conversations with the duke, the Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of the royal family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service,” the Palace’s statement said.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are also giving up their honorary military appointments and royal patronages, which will be returned to Queen Elizabeth before they are to be redistributed among the working members of the royal family.
Prince Harry holds a total of 16 patronages and several honorary military titles, including Captain-General of Royal Marines, Honorary Air Commandant, RAF Honington Commodore-in-Chief, Small Ships and Diving, Royal Naval Command.
Meanwhile, in her short stint as a senior royal, Meghan has a total of four royal patronages, which include the Mayhew, The National Theatre, Smartworks and The Association of Commonwealth Universities.
“While all are saddened by their decision, the duke and duchess remain much-loved members of the family,” the statement said.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s spokesperson said that the couple remained "committed to their duty and service to the UK and around the world, and have offered their continued support to the organizations they have represented regardless of official role."
The couple currently resides in the Montecito neighborhood of Santa Barbara, California, with their son Archie. They recently revealed that they are expecting their second child.
Banner and thumbnail image from www.instagram.com/sussexroyal