NBI driver tagged as suspect in Senate shooting tests positive for gunpowder residue
The NBI driver who was arrested after the May 13 shooting incident at the Senate tested positive for gunpowder residue.
Police Lt. Margaret Panaga, chief of the Southern Police District's Public Information Office, confirmed the development to GMA News.
“Base sa result, positive po sa presence ng gunpowder yung‘ alleged NBI driver,” she said in a message.
The suspect was identified as 44-year-old Mel Oragon. He was arrested on the second floor of the Senate building after shots were fired on May 13. During that time, several senators were still inside. No casualties were reported.
According to Chief of the Philippine National Police Public Information Office PBGen. Randulf Tuaño, Oragon is currently under inquest and faces at least five charges, including violation of the Comprehensive Firearms and Ammunition Regulation Act, alarm and scandal, grave threats, direct assault, and violation of the Senate's security regulations.
Oragon is a driver working for the NBI, per authorities, though Tuaño said that they are still verifying whether the suspect is affiliated with the agency, as they did not find any government-issued ID on him.
The motive for the shooting is still under investigation.
Earlier in the day, Sen. Ronald "Bato" Dela Rosa shared he received information he would be arrested for alleged crimes against humanity after the day's session. He left the Senate premises the following day.
The senator served as the PNP chief during former president Rodrigo Duterte's term, allegedly helping him carry out the so-called drug war, for which Duterte is awaiting trial at The Hague. Duterte is charged with three counts of murder as crimes against humanity. Dela Rosa has been identified as one of Duterte's co-perpetrators and is now on the ICC wanted list.
