Style Living Self Celebrity Geeky News and Views
In the Paper BrandedUp Hello! Create with us Privacy Policy

So you're a first-time jobseeker. Here's how you can apply for government documents free of charge

By NICK GARCIA Published Nov 10, 2023 6:37 pm

Whether you've been working decades in your industry or just about to start your career right off college, searching for a job can feel daunting. And one way to go about it is by availing of benefits that would help streamline the process.

One of these is the free processing of government documents for first-time jobseekers, which the government has enacted into law in 2019 under the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte. Through the Republic Act No. 11261, or the First Time Jobseekers Assistance Act, fresh graduates can apply for government documents required in employment application free of charge.

It covers Filipino citizens who are actively looking for jobs for the first time, regardless of age. They must also be residents of the barangay where they are applying for barangay certificates.

Below is the list of documents Pinoy first-time job seekers can claim for free, as stated on RA 11261.

  • Police clearance certificate
  • National Bureau of Investigation or NBI clearance
  • Barangay clearance
  • Mayor’s clearance
  • Medical certificate from a public hospital (fees and charges collected for laboratory tests and other medical procedures are not covered)
  • Birth Certificate
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Transcript of academic records issued by state colleges and universities
  • Tax Identification Number or TIN
  • Unified Multi-Purpose ID or UMID
  • Philippine Health Insurance Corp. or Philhealth ID
  • Philippine Overseas Employment Administration or POEA Certificate
  • Maritime Industry Authority or MARINA Certificate
  • Civil Service Commission Certificate or CSC Certificate of Eligibility
  • Technical Education And Skills Development Authority or TESDA National Certificates and Certificates of Competencies
  • Other government documents employers may require

The law states that it won’t cover fees and charges during the application process itself, like the professional licensure examination conducted by the Professional Regulation Commission; Philippine passport authentication and red ribbon of documents from the Department of Foreign Affairs; career service examination with the CSC; and driver’s license from the Land Transportation Office.

To avail of the free documents, the Department of Labor and Employment advised individuals to:

  1. Secure a barangay certification from their place of residence and execute an oath of undertaking, stating that they’re first-time jobseekers.
  2. Present the original barangay certification to the officer of the government agency and get documents free of charge.
  3. Report back to the barangay after successfully obtaining employment.

The names of individuals who have been issued documents under the act would be included in the database of the Department of Information and Communications Technology.