We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on PhilSTAR Life. By continuing, you are agreeing to our privacy policy and our use of cookies. Find out more here.

I agreeI disagree

generations The 100 List Style Living Self Celebrity Geeky News and Views
In the Paper BrandedUp Watch Hello! Create with us Privacy Policy

Chavit Singson quits senatorial race to focus on health

Published Jan 13, 2025 10:06 am

Former Ilocos Sur governor Chavit Singson announced that he's withdrawing from the senatorial race in the 2025 midterm elections to focus on his health.

“Matapos ang mahabang pag-iisip, ang desisyon ko po, hindi na po ako tutuloy sa aking kandidatura sa Senado,” Singson said in a speech on Jan. 12 to his supporters at the Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay. It was also livestreamed on Facebook.

“Ayokong ipilit kung ang aking kalusugan ang maaaring magdusa.”

The 83-year-old noted that he was recently admitted to the hospital due to pneumonia.

Despite getting discharged already, Singson said he must take ample rest.

"Hindi po biro ang kampanya, lalo na ang trabaho ang isang senador, kung talagang magtatrabaho. Ayaw kong ipilit. Ang aking kalusugan ay maaring magdusa," he said.

"Sa totoo lang, tumakas na lang ako sa ospital dahil ayaw nila akong palabasin," he added. "Bagamat nagamot nila ang pneumonia, kailangan ko raw ng mahabang panahon ng pahinga."

He continued to say that he wanted to still "help and serve" the public, but he first has to get healthy.

Even if Singson has quit his senatorial bid, his name would still appear on the ballot. Votes he may get would be declared as "stray," according to the Commission on Elections. 

Singson was previously the mayor of Narvacan, Ilocos Sur from 2019 to 2022. He became the province's governor in 1972 to 1986, 1992 to 2001, 2004 to 2007, and 2010 to 2013.

Singson also served as the deputy national security adviser in 2008.

News Hub
Icon