Style Living Self Celebrity Geeky News and Views
In the Paper BrandedUp Hello! Create with us Privacy Policy

Ostrich dies after swallowing zoo staffer's keys

By Melanie Uson Published Apr 23, 2024 6:04 pm

A beloved ostrich in a zoo in the U.S. died after it swallowed a staff member’s keys.

The Topeka Zoo in Kansas announced o April 19 that the ostrich, whom they named Karen, “tragically succumbed to complications” after it swallowed a foreign object. 

"We are devastated by the loss of Karen," said Fawn Moser, Interim Director of the Topeka Zoo.  

"She was not just an animal; she was a beloved member of our community. Our thoughts are with our dedicated animal care team, who formed deep bonds with Karen during her time with us,” she added. 

Detailing the incident, the zoo shared that Karen “reached beyond her exhibit fence to grab the keys of a staff member” which she immediately swallowed. 

They added that the staff member sought consultations with experts in the country about taking surgical and non-surgical procedures to minimize the impact of the foreign object inside Karen’s body, but such efforts were deemed unsuccessful.  

“The Topeka Zoo remains committed to ensuring the well-being of all our animals, implementing rigorous protocols to safeguard against such incidents in the future,” they said. 

Karen has been an “adored resident” of the zoo since the opening of Giraffe & Friends in March of 2023.  

The ostrich was known for her "water-loving habits," like swimming in the pool and playing in the sprinkler. She's also lovingly called a "dancing queen."

Following the tragic incident, the Topeka Zoo said that they conducted a thorough investigation and are taking appropriate actions for the involved staff member.

They also assured the public that they will review and enhance its protocols “to further strengthen the safety measures in place for all its residents.” 

“The Topeka Zoo extends its deepest gratitude to the community for their outpouring of support during this difficult time,” they concluded.