DOTr: EDSA busway will not be removed
The Department of Transportation (DOTr) clarified that the EDSA busway will not be removed.
Transportation Secretary Jaime Bautista said in an interview with DWPM Radyo 360 that the bus lane along the major thoroughfare is here to stay.
"Hindi tatanggalin ang EDSA busway. Nagkaroon lang ng discussion diyan pero hindi siya tatanggalin," he said.
On Feb. 5, Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Chairman Romando Artes floated the idea of getting rid of the busway if the MRT-3 increases capacity.
During a press briefing, Artes said that the bus lane, which he said was "repetitive" as it also serves commuters along EDSA, would be turned into a special lane for high-occupancy vehicles.
However, Bautista said that the EDSA busway is "not necessarily a replication" as it has stops from Caloocan City up to Parañaque Integrated Terminal Exchange (PITX).
Instead of removing the lane, Bautista said it will rather be "improved with the help of the private sector."
“Gusto sana natin na yung EDSA Busway conforms to international standards para sa comfort at convenience ng ating mga pasahero,” he stated.
Before 2020, buses occupied two lanes along the right side of the major thoroughfare, which has always been plagued by traffic. As lockdowns were implemented during the COVID-19 pandemic, the EDSA busway was constructed, occupying one leftmost lane along EDSA.
Additionally, Artes previously said that the MMDA is also studying imposing congestion charges on vehicles plying EDSA to encourage people to take public transport. He noted that President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. said this can only be implemented if mass transport is efficient.
Over 63 million commuters benefited from the EDSA busway, according to the DOTr. In January 2025, it was used by more than 5.5 million passengers, with an average of 177,000 daily commuters.