The Philippines secured five major nominations at the 28th edition of World Travel Awards (WTA).12 other hospitality establishments in the Philippines are also nominated in this World Edition of the prestigious awards program.
Despite the pandemic halting travel activities, the country continued to receive recognition from the international community this year. The Department of Tourism (DOT), which is also nominated for the title of World's Leading Tourist Board, made the announcement on social media, urging the public to show their support.
“We are proud to announce that the Philippines has been nominated in the prestigious 28th World Travel Awards!” they said.
The Philippines is contending for the titles World’s Leading Beach Destination and World’s Leading Dive Destination. Siargao has also been nominated in the World’s Leading Island Destination category, while Intramuros received a nomination for World's Leading Tourist Attraction.
Meanwhile, 12 Philippine hospitality establishments are also nominated. They are:
- World’s Leading Airport Hotel 2021 – Savoy Hotel Manila, Philippines
- World’s Leading Business Hotel 2021 – Discovery Primea, Philippines
- World’s Leading Casino Resort 2021 – City of Dreams Manila, Philippines
- World’s Leading Dive Resort 2021 – Amanpulo, Philippines
- World’s Leading Exclusive Private Island 2021 (Ariara Island, Philippines, Banwa Private Island, Philippines)
- World’s Leading Fully Integrated Resort 2021 – City of Dreams Manila, Philippines
- World’s Leading Luxury Island Resort 2021 – Banwa Private Island, Philippines
- World’s Leading Luxury Private Island Resort 2021 – Banwa Private Island, Philippines
- World’s Leading Luxury Villa Beach Resort 2021 – Amanpulo, Philippines
- World’s Leading Private Island Resort 2021 – Amanpulo, Philippines
- World’s Leading Serviced Apartments 2021 – Ascott Bonifacio Global City Manila, Philippines
- World’s Leading Themed Resort 2021 – El Nido, Pangulasian Island, Philippines
The voting period for World in WTA 2021 started last Sept. 27 and will run until Oct. 24. Once you register on their website, you will be able to cast your votes. The nominee with the highest votes in a category will be named as the winner.
Graham Cooke, Founder, WTA said: “With voting now open for our World categories, it is time to make your voice heard by voting for the organisations that are raising the bar of travel excellence. WTA is regarded as the highest accolade in the industry, and your vote can really make a difference.”
Tourism secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat asks Filipino and foreign travelers to vote for the Philippines in this year's WTA.
She said: "By casting our votes, we can show that the Philippine tourism industry is alive and even more determined to bounce back, despite the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic."
The winners will be announced at WTA’s Grand Final Gala Ceremony which will take place in Moscow, Russia this Nov. 26, 2021.