Mike Myers is taking on eight different roles for the upcoming comedy series The Pentaverate.
Netflix dropped a teaser for the new comedy series about a five-man secret society on Wednesday (March 16). The Wayne’s World and Austin Powers star is joined by a star-studded cast that includes Ken Jeong, Keegan-Michael Key, Debi Mazar, Richard McCabe, Jennifer Saunders and Lydia West.
The Pentaverate, which will be told over six 30-minute episodes, asks, “What if a secret society of five men has been working to influence world events for the greater good since the Black Plague of 1347? As this new series begins, one unlikely Canadian journalist finds himself embroiled in a mission to uncover the truth and just possibly save the world himself. Remember, the Pentaverate must never be exposed!”
— Deadline Hollywood (@DEADLINE) March 16, 2022
Along with the teaser, Netflix has released first-look photos, character posters, and details, including the eight roles played by Myers.
As reported by Deadline, Mike Myers is set to portray:
- Ken Scarborough: An old-school Canadian news journalist who sets out to expose the Pentaverate and win his job back.
- Anthony Lansdowne: A New England conspiracy theorist who is determined to expose the Pentaverate.
- Rex Smith: A far-right radio host and highly prominent conspiracy theorist.
- Lord Lordington: The Pentaverate’s oldest and highest-ranking member.
- Bruce Baldwin: Former media mogul.
- Mishu Ivanov: Ex-Russian oligarch.
- Shep Gordon: Former rock ‘n’ roll manager.
- Jason Eccleston: A tech genius who invented the Pentaverate’s super computer, MENTOR.
Interestingly, the secret society of The Pentaverate was a joke dropped in Myers’s 1993 movie So I Married an Axe Murderer, when his Scottish dad (also played by Myers) says that it’s comprised of the Queen, the Vatican, the Gettys, the Rothschilds, and Colonel Sanders.
The comedy series marks Mike Myers’ official return to the screen, as he’s kept a relatively low profile in recent years. Myers was most recently seen as Austin Powers and Dr. Evil in archival footage used for Space Jam: A New Legacy. Myers also reunited with fellow villains as Dr. Evil in a Super Bowl commercial earlier this year.
Before that, he played Ray Foster in 2018’s Bohemian Rhapsody and hosted 20 episodes of The Gong Show on ABC.
The Pentaverate is executive produced by Myers, director Tom Kirkby, John Lyons, Tony Hernandez and Lilly Burns for Jax Media and Jason Weinberg.
Check out the trailer below.
The Pentaverate debuts on Netflix on May 5, 2022.