‘Star Wars: Visions’ reimagines the galaxy in stunning anime style
Disney Plus has released the first trailer for Lucasfilm’s upcoming anime short film series Star Wars: Visions streaming September 22.
The exciting project consists of nine original Star Wars shorts created by seven different visionary Japanese anime studios. Each of the shorts is animated in the leading Japanese studio's signature style, and brings a fresh and diverse cultural perspective to the Star Wars universe.
The upcoming anthology series is developed by Lucasfilm, and produced by Qubic Pictures' Justin Leach and Kanako Shirasaki.
The official synopsis reads:
“Seven Japanese anime studios bring their unique talent and perspective to Star Wars: Visions, a collection of animated Original Short Films. As a first formal venture into anime, each Star Wars: Visions short bears a unique Japanese sensibility, which in many ways aligns with the tone and spirit of Star Wars storytelling. From the beginning, stories told in the Star Wars galaxy have counted Japanese mythology and the films of Akira Kurosawa among their many influences, and these new visions will further explore that cultural heritage through the unique animation style and perspective of each anime studio.”
According to the official Star Wars blog, the anime studios that worked on the shorts include Kamikaze Douga - The Duel, Geno Studio (Twin Engine) - Lop and Ochō, Studio Colorido (Twin Engine) - Tatooine Rhapsody, Trigger - The Twins & The Elder, Kinema Citrus - The Village Bride, Science Saru - Akakiri & T0-B1, and Production IG - The Ninth Jedi.
The trailer can be viewed both with the original Japanese voice cast or the English dub cast, which includes the voice talents of returning Star Wars actors and talent new to the Star Wars galaxy, including Temuera Morrison as Boba Fett:
Check out the stellar voice cast for the English dub:
- The Duel: Brian Tee (Ronin), Lucy Liu (Bandit Leader), Jaden Waldman (Village Chief)
- Tatooine Rhapsody: Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Jay), Bobby Moynihan (Geezer), Temuera Morrison (Boba Fett), Shelby Young (K-344), Marc Thompson (Lan)
- The Twins: Neil Patrick Harris (Karre), Alison Brie (Am), Jonathan Lipow (B-20N)
- The Village Bride: Karen Fukuhara (F), Nichole Sakura (Haru), Christopher Sean (Asu), Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (Valco), Andrew Kishino (Izuma), Stephanie Sheh (Saku)
- The Ninth Jedi: Kimiko Glenn (Kara), Andrew Kishino (Juro), Simu Liu (Zhima), Masi Oka (Ethan), Greg Chun (Roden), Neil Kaplan (Narrator), Michael Sinterniklaas (Hen Jin)
- T0-B1: Jaden Waldman (T0-B1), Kyle Chandler (Mitaka)
- The Elder: David Harbour (Tajin), Jordan Fisher (Dan), James Hong (The Elder)
- Lop & Ochō: Anna Cathcart (Lop), Hiromi Dames (Ocho), Paul Nakauchi(Yasaburo), Kyle McCarley (Imperial Officer)
- Akakiri: Henry Golding (Tsubaki), Jamie Chung (Misa), George Takei (Senshuu), Keone Young (Kamahachi), Lorraine Toussaint (Masago)
Prepare to experience the legendary weapon of the Jedi and the power of the Force as you've never seen before in this groundbreaking new Star Wars series.
Star Wars: Visions will debut on Disney Plus on September 22, 2021.
(Images via StarWars.com)