Trigger warning: This article contains mentions of rape and sexual assault.
American actor Armie Hammer won't face sexual assault charges following rape allegations from multiple women in 2021, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office said on May 31.
Multiple US outlets, including NBC News, reported that there was "insufficient evidence" to charge Hammer, who starred in The Social Network and Call Me by Your Name.
“Due to the complexity of the relationship and inability to prove a non-consensual, forcible sexual encounter we are unable to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt,” the DA's spokesperson Tiffiny Blacknell said in a statement.
"Effie," a woman who had publicly accused Hammer of sexual assault, told NBC News she was disappointed with the decision.
“I felt a duty to speak out and file a report in order to try to hold Armie accountable for all the harm and trauma he has caused me and in order to protect other women from experiencing similar abuse,” she's quoted as saying.
Effie previously said it was in 2016 when she began an affair with Hammer, who was married at the time, after connecting on Facebook. She's still 20 years old while Hammer was 31.
In 2017, Effie said Hammer raped her and committed other acts of violence against her. When she came forward, she said she has experienced death threats and harassment.
Forbes Magazine also reported that following Effie's claims, two other women who said they're exes of Hammer accused him of abuse. One alleged Hammer of branding her, while another called him emotionally abusive and had cannibalistic fantasies.
Hammer, meanwhile, in an Instagram post on May 31 thanked the district attorney's office and those who supported him.
“I am very grateful to the District Attorney for conducting a thorough investigation and coming to the conclusion that I have stood by this entire time, that no crime was committed,” he said.
“I look forward to beginning what will be a long, difficult process of putting my life back together now that my name is cleared.”